A couple of questions have come up about Anatabloc, or as I knew it, Anatabean.  Dad was one of the first to take higher doses of what is known as CigRx.  CigRx is marketed as a smoking cessation supplement.  It is my understanding that the theory is that higher doses of this natural supplement derived from the tobacco plant will reduce or eliminate inflammation in the body.  Dad was taking them all day long throughout the day and continued to increase his dose.  In my humble opinion I always thought there could be a place for this supplement but I never believed it was the entire answer.  IF it eliminates or reduces inflammation that is a good thing.  However, I believe we need to figure out what is causing the inflammation in the first place and take care of that too. It seems to me that the the company manufacturing the Anatabloc believes it is the only answer and that one will have to stay on it for life (which makes sense because they do not target the cause of the inflammation).  I like a proactive approach to health and wellness not just a medicated approach.  That being said, dad's C-Reactive Protein never decreased and in fact increased while on the Anatabloc.  We believe dad's severe gluten sensitivity (that never manifested itself as digestive issues but showed up on the Cyrex test) caused his inflammation as well as his homocysteine levels are 15 and it is known that a level higher than 14 has the potential to affect brain function.
There were side effects from Anatabloc.  His metabolism sped up a great deal which caused him to lose weight.  His weight reached an undesirable low point which was cause for concern.  He was also cold all the time and just could not seem to get warm.  These side effects along with the lack of a change in his C-Reactive Proteins convinced us it was not worth it for dad.  My personal final analysis is that perhaps it will be a better weight loss supplement rather than a cure for dementia.

Comments

Edward Grant
03/07/2012 7:33pm

I have heard anecdotal reports from a friend whose mother had a very good response to Anatabloc for early Alzheimer's. She said they were very encouraged for the first 2 months. Things have leveled off since but they still include it as part of her regiment. I didn't ask about the CRP. She does complain about the number of tablets every day but they do not want to change anything at this point.

donna suro
03/07/2012 9:04pm

That is great news! I am all for anything that works for each person and if she is finding success than perhaps others will as well. I am just one opinion of many out there and that is why I have started this blog and it is why I invite comments from all people and their experiences with this disease. Thanks for sharing.

John McKeon
03/07/2012 7:54pm

I was wondering who wrote this. In your blog you have incorrectly spelled both Anatabloc (your spelling antabloc) and tobacco (your spelling tabacco). I find it hard to believe that a Virginia girl who's Dad graduated from UVA and takes great pride in Virginia's rich history which has deep roots in tobacco would not instinctively know how it is spelled. Additionally, I would think that the proper spelling for any treatment that someone who was in your Dad's condition was involved with would not be misspelled. It would be way too important to not know exactly what his treatment would be. Who wrote this. Certainly not one of Rick Sharp's daughters. Rick Sharp's daughter knows how to spell.

powerwalker
03/07/2012 8:02pm

Plus, it is "Johns Hopkins" ... no apostrophe between the "n" and "s."

Donna Suro
03/07/2012 9:21pm

I apologize for my spelling mistakes and also because I clearly have upset you. I was in a hurry as we were on our way out to dinner and I wanted to respond before we left. As a Virginia girl I do have expectations for a more genteel response from the readers. My main focus is to communicate our experience in a way to help share our findings. From Oxford to Johns Hopkins to UVA To Dr. Perlmutter, there is no question we have access to cutting edge technology and research that most do not and I want to bring that information to as many as I am able. While I strive to have proper spelling it is not the mission of this personal blog. I can not help but wonder if you are connected in some way to Anatabloc. I will certainly leave your comments posted and if you have something positive to share please do so. I want everyone to have as much data as possible to make the best decisions for their lives and the lives if their loved ones.

John McKeon
03/07/2012 9:40pm

Donna,

This is a very serious discussion we are having here. And it is important to me. I am very concerned about the truth. Please answer this question truthfully. And before you do please call your Dad and ask him the answer. Tell him John McKeon asked you. Tell him you are going to respond to a question on the web site raising money that his name is attached to. Tell him John McKeon feels very strongly about telling the truth. Is your father continuing to take Antatblock/RCP006 daily and to this day. Your Dad knows how you can contact me if you feel the need to. Please tell this website the truthful answer to this question.

Raymond Melikian
04/02/2013 1:26pm

This is a scam people. Almost all of the Amazon positive reviews are from people that only set up the account to leave feedback. All the negative feedback was from actual users that BOUGHT the product. Plus I've seen hundreds of complaints from people saying they try to cancel and can't. They just keep charging your credit card.

Not John McKeon
03/07/2012 9:24pm

As long as we are acting like vermin and randomly criticizing the spelling of people who are going through incredibly difficult circumstances, the word you want is "whose" and not "who's." In the English language, "who's" is a conjunction that stands in for the words "who is." The best thing about my life is that I don't know you.

Ms. Suro--please accept my apologies on behalf of the human race.

-Not John McKeon

Joe Bilich
06/12/2012 5:49pm

Are you the John McKeon who has invested in Star Scientific and whose CIGX warrants became unrestricted today? If so, is it safe to presume your interest in Star Scientific stems primarily from the potential its products show regarding treating Alzheimer's? Just trying to connect the dots here. Thank you.

Epp
08/22/2012 6:13pm

Get a life!

Marie
12/27/2012 11:47pm

What a very rude and angry person! I stumbled upon this blog while researching the side effects of Anatabloc and was so completely surprised by the audicity this person has to belittle someone this way. Imagine how they treat their loved ones. Scary. Pray for this person!

Not John McKeon
03/07/2012 9:31pm

Also, John, it is customary to end questions with question marks. Who in the world would write "Who wrote this."? I mean, it sounds like a question but then it ends with a period. Certainly noted grammarian John McKeon, who has literally nothing better to do than criticize internet spelling, would never make such a silly mistake. So who are you really?

Free John McKeon!

-Not John McKeon

Jake
03/07/2012 9:32pm

Why has your Dad recently been purchasing stock in the company that makes Anatabloc and making public statements that he backs Anatabloc via sec filinga? He was a director and insider with non-public info.

look at the sec filing on Oct 14th

"On October 7, 2011, in connection with the preparations for the annual meeting of the stockholders (the “Annual Meeting”) of Star Scientific, Inc. (the “Company”), Richard L. Sharp, an independent member of the Company’s Board of Directors (the “Board”), announced his intention to not stand for reelection at the Company’s Annual Meeting for personal reasons and retire from the Board effective the date of the Annual Meeting. Mr. Sharp will continue to serve as a member of the Board through the date of the Annual Meeting. Further, Mr. Sharp stated that he remains enthusiastic about the Company’s Anatabloc™ product and, accordingly, has indicated a desire to continue his involvement with the Company through a consultancy arrangement pursuant to which he will advise and assist the Company and its subsidiary, Rock Creek Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (“Rock Creek”), in the marketing and distribution of Anatabloc™ and other potential nutraceutical products developed by Rock Creek, and as an investor through a purchase of the Company’s securities during its next trading window."

Donna Suro
03/07/2012 9:50pm

You raise good questions. I never meant to imply Anatabloc would never work for anyone. In fact, I believe I mentioned I always thought it could play a role in this Alz puzzle. It is fun to watch all of the pieces coming together and I do believe together we will all find a solution to this terrible disease. Per your comments about my father, please remember this is a blog my sister and I created and in no way represents my father's previous or current views. I am willing to share our incredibly difficult journey with honesty and with my personal observations of our family experiences. Also I am happy you shared your comments above because it serves to support my comments that our family is doing everything we can to find a solution and that includes funding and going to great lengths to support current cutting edge protocols in the quest for a solution for this disease.

Wayne Johnson
03/07/2012 10:19pm

Donna,first let me express how appalled I am at some of the comments posted in the replies to your postings.I was unaware of the anatabloc issue when I asked for your father's treatment protocol.it seems that there are many people who have a vested interest in having Star Scientific fail.Many posters have no qualms in saying very unpleasant things in an attempt to gain an edge in their favor.I am sorry that you have been subject to such outrageous posting.please know that there are many of us who wish you sand your family well and are

Wayne Johnson
03/07/2012 10:22pm

Iguess I ran out of room.I just want to reiterate how much I and many others appreciate your efforts and wish your family victory in this battle against a vicious enemy.

Jake
03/07/2012 10:27pm

Her dad said in a public sec filing that he is enthusiastic about Anatabloc, we now know he has Alz and was taking it for alz, he said in the sec filing he was going to buy shares, he then went and publicly bought shares. She is telling people she likes the idea of taking coconut oil, b-12, and dieting, and not anatabloc. John Mckeon is telling her to call her dad and demands that she admit he is still taking Anatabloc for alz. He sounds like he knows more than her. People need to realize that R. Sharp is an old pro. He wouldn't tell his daughter or anyone else insider info he was privy to at Star Scientific. She probably doesnt know 1/100'th of what her dad knows about Anatabloc.

James Wilton
03/07/2012 10:55pm

I would also like to apologize for the insensitive comments left by others here. You were kind enough to respond to questions and share your experiences. I'm afraid you were caught in the line of fire, so to speak. I admire your endeavors to support Alzheimer's research and wish you and your family the very best.

Gary V
03/09/2012 7:12am

Donna, the company that makes Anatabloc recommends that peopled take 3-6 of the lozenges per day but I've heard of people with serious diseases taking the equivalent of 10-20 per day to really try to fight it. Was your dad taking well over the recommended 3-6 by any chance, which may have been the reason for the problems you spoke of? You mentioned him taking higher doses and eating Cigrx all day so I thought I would ask. Thank you

Donna Suro
03/10/2012 5:59pm

Gary, I do not know the exact dose my dad was taking. I do know he increased his dose over time. We called them his "tic-tacs" because he had them in his pocket and would pop them in his mouth throughout the day like you would a pack of tic-tacs. He really liked the taste of them and I think the action of taking the tablets throughout the day was comforting to him. I think your comment that his side effects could have been caused by the higher dose is absolutely possible. It is also true that the disease itself can affect all areas of the brain including those that regulate metabolism and body temperature. Because he is just one person it is hard to say the cause. He was early in the protocol and I know they are working hard to get the right dose for the right level of progression with the disease and my dad is hopeful he will have the opportunity to try again once his weight stabilizes. I am certain once the company has more data we will hear about it. I appreciate those of you who have shared your positive experiences with the protocol.

davidcalleo
03/10/2012 12:28pm

Just checking to see if this site is still accepting posts? I have a number of questions.

donna suro
03/10/2012 5:50pm

David,
Yes we are accepting posts. Please see my latest post and then ask your questions. I will answer them if I can, based on our journey thus far. Thanks for your interest.

justhinkin
03/11/2012 1:46am

To all whom it may concern:

I may have some longer and more general comments at a later time, and I state that I will post them and this with utmost respect and regard to all concerned. I am concerned for the good of the persons involved, for the accurate representation of what is taking place, and for the best possible outcome for all concerned.

Specifically, for now (to a single point of information/discussion), I note Ms. Suro's statement above that,

"We called them his "tic-tacs" because he had them in his pocket and would pop them in his mouth throughout the day like you would a pack of tic-tacs. He really liked the taste of them and I think the action of taking the tablets throughout the day was comforting to him. I think your comment that his side effects could have been caused by the higher dose is absolutely possible."

With great respect and concern, I urge the following consideration.

In light of the very nature of the illness in question, Alzheimer's, does it seem wise at any point after definite diagnosis and signs of deterioration of memory (pretty much required for diagnosis) for the patient in question to dose himself with something of which he or she can afford unlimited quantities, something that is sold "OTC" without restriction, something that actually tastes good to take, and something which, one presumes, no one (else) is monitoring in terms of amounts consumed?

I know that the person in question, God bless him, is used to autonomy in every respect, but it appears by this very discussion that there is a crucial problem afoot here (now discovered), not just concerning the taking of Anatabloc but with any regimen not being directly overseen and monitored (in amount used, via prescription control). It cannot be emphasized enough that there is no good to be had by the use of anything with pharmaceutical effect without control or notice of amount taken. Nothing, not even water, can be safely consumed without limitation.

It does indeed seem highly likely that over consumption is a reasonable explanation for the reported problem(s) encountered, considering Ms. Suro's comments above. It takes no more than 10 minutes to dissolve an Anatabloc in the mouth. Mr. Sharp could easily have been consuming 30, 40, 60 or more of these a day if no one was counting.

It is probably a comment on the safety of this compound that the person in question felt and has experienced no greater problem than reported in this blog.

I personally have suffered rather severe consequences due to zinc poisoning due to its presence as "supplement" in many more of my dietary components than I was aware.

Because the use of supplements as a "mainstay" of treatment is being discussed here (and I may introduce another possibility for that at a later time), I urge whoever is and should be concerned about this person's care to see to it that any and all "supplementation" be monitored as to frequency and amount by some one or ones other than the patient ... who may be unaware, completely, how much of an easily obtained, good tasting supplement he or she is taking.

I have read several reports of others trying Anatabloc, and its predecessor supplement, in treating loved ones with AD (mostly through "the association"), and they all have reported monitoring the amount consumed, some remarking how eagerly the patient will take them due to the nice taste.

I must opine that, as you go forward, you (and all) consider these crucial aspects of trying any and every avenue of possible aid.

(1) Too much of any dietary and/or pharmaceutical component in the patient's "intake" can be as bad as, and in many cases disastrously worse than, too little of it. Plus,

(2) of all illness-plagued "patients", those with AD would seem certain to be at the top of the list of persons who need to be closely monitored as to diet, supplementation, and medication, due to the very nature of the problem.

I am helping take care of my own father, who has non-AD dementia at 90. He sometimes resents, not too seriously, the lack of autonomy about these things (diet for diabetes/obesity and 13 medications, plus supplementation), but we go over daily the "education/re-education" routine of why it is necessary, and that keeps things in perspective for him.

I am sure that those who are in the picture here will do the same for the good of, the health of, the AD patient in question. This discussion reveals that it is not too early, but rather likely a little late, to start ... but now is so much better than later.

donna suro
03/11/2012 9:11am

I appreciate your candor. I am so new to the blogging world that this type of response helps me to clarify needed concerns that my posts may raise. When my dad was taking the "tic tacs" they were measured out in a special container each day by his caregiver according to the daily dosing instructions. Each tablet was very small. When he was out for the day he was not able to have more until the next day. As I mentioned before, he took them for quite a long period of time and was carefully and consistently monitored by the manufacturer to test his health through the entire process. Our family has always had strong involvement with new medical technologies, especially when nothing else is known to work. Therefore dad wanted to explore increasing his dose over time because the possible pros far outweighed the cons. For now and at least until his weight stabilizes, dad is trying Dr. Perlmutter's protocol that requires a significant change in diet (as mentioned in another post) and the only real side effect there is frustration at having to give up all the comfort foods he likes to eat. He will be monitored during this protocol as well to make sure his organs are not affected by any of the severe diet changes and I will keep the readers posted as we move along. That being said dad still supports the advancement of Anatabloc. I often talked to my family during the time he took the supplement and theorized if Anatabloc could diminish the inflammation and we could also find the cause of the inflammation we would have a winning combination.

03/11/2012 5:13pm

Thank you for your work Donna. Our prayers go out to you and your family. It appears that people on this board have an ulterior motive. We know you are aware your father works for a company that is currently making a product that helps with inflammation- how that applies to ALZ only the scientist can tell. Our concern is that you are using 20% of proceeds to help fight this disease- leaving expenses at 80%? We have donated to ALZ.ORG and their expenses are no where near that percentage. We would love to help, however, we need a little more information regarding the expenses. You may use the personal email that was required to complete this registration or you may address it here on this blog. Have a great Sunday evening.

donna suro
03/11/2012 5:55pm

David, I will reach out to you via email but I wanted to answer your question so all of the readers would know how we have set up the fund. My sister and I donated all the money needed to keep the fund running via the Community Foundation. That means that EVERY dollar we raise will go towards funding the research and development of cutting edge protocols for neuro degenerative disease. A portion of the money raised (not to exceed 20%) will go to the Alzheimer's Association for the wonderful work they do for this disease. The other 80% will be offered in the form of a grant to those organizations meeting our criteria. We will determine how we distribute our funds based on the submissions with the grant submission form. It is very important to us that the money we donate allows the beneficiary to take their research to the next level and that it is not being used for expenses. This fund was just started a few months ago and we have not held our first fundraiser yet. The expenses of the fundraiser will be donated by the family so again 100% of the money raised can go directly to neuro degenerative research and development. We are not a 501c(3), rather we are a fund within the Community Foundation. Aside from the money my sister and I donated to set up the fund there is no other overhead. We will have full disclosure on our site once we start making distributions so donors can see what organizations have revived grants by the StaySharp Fund. In a few days there will be a page in this site that will allow anyone to donate to the StaySharp Fund. We are so thankful for any support.

03/11/2012 9:39pm

Donna, thank you so much for the information you have provided, good night.

Chris
03/16/2012 4:25pm

Donna, thanks for taking the time to answer these responses and questions. I wish your family the best. Your dad is a legend. My question is.....does your Dad's doctors think that Anatabloc interacted with your Dad's thyroid, which could explain the fast metabolism and cold spells? The company behind Star is doing lots of Thyroid tests with Anatabloc and are now referring to Anatabloc as a metabolism product so I thought I would ask. Could Anatabloc be throwing the thyroid into disarray?

fake website
03/18/2012 10:11am

is this a fake web site? why hasn't your facebook pages or your mothers referenced it? what are you doing with the money you take in "donations" from people?

Donna Suro
03/18/2012 5:39pm

I am really starting to wonder why so many responders are feeling so threatened by this post. I also find comments by people listing themselves as "fake website" cowardly. Anyone who has any history with philanthropy will know that The Community Foundation who handles all of our donations is a reputable organization overseeing hundreds of funds such as ours.

Neverworkedforme
03/18/2012 7:41pm

First off where is this product acually manufactured? Second, if it doesn't work for everyone why would tests show positive results in all blood work? Sure seems like a scam to me. Show me a blood test it does not work . Tell me where it is manufactured and have a unbiased confirmation what the ingredients are.

justpumpinstarscientific
03/18/2012 7:53pm

It seems to me that for over ten years Star Scientific has been trying to stay above water by any means possible. Why would anyone trust them.

Chris
03/18/2012 9:17pm

Star Scientific employs unethical IR types who's job it is to discredit anyone who says anything bad about them. On the Yahoo Message board for Star Scientific they literally work all day and night to discredit any doubters. They often, every day, try to claim that your blog is fake or a fraud. You really got to wonder why they would do that...right? Star is quit obviously paranoid about people talking about Anatabloc having side effects. Star recently started calling Anatabloc a metabolism product in their SEC filings. Something I'm pretty sure inflammation sufferers do not know about when they buy the product. Additionally, nearly all study results of Anatabloc have been held back from the public. Every one delayed or buried. Lots of alkaloids are terrible for people. I'll leave it at that. Sorry Donna for the insults these people throw your way. Your Dad or his attorney should give execs at Star Scientific an earful as it is their underlings doing the dirt work imho. You should just put these people on ignore. Also John McKeon, who went off on you above, just put $12 mil into Star. That's why he is so angry. He has ties to Star's IR firm Wolfe Axelrod. If you do a search on Google for 'sonic solutions wolfe axelrod john mckeon' you will find sec filings from Sonic Solutions where both parties got paid for investment consulting services. IR guys like I said.

Donna Suro
03/19/2012 7:35am

Thank you to all of you who have written encouraging words about this fund and this blog. I do want to provide useful information to the readers about all kinds of protocols available and I do wish the very best to everyone involved in the pursuit of a cure. It is my intention to communicate the things that are working in our journey and to answer questions from the readers with honesty and integrity. Our fund will be used to support protocols that are showing promise and while I think it is unfortunate the way some people who are involved with Star Scientific have responded to the post, we will not use our time or money focusing on the negative. Our greatest family prayers are for wisdom. Wisdom for those working on a solution to this terrible disease, wisdom for our family as we choose what to implement in our own lives and wisdom about our fundraising and grant giving.

DoNotTrust
04/16/2012 12:07pm

Dear Donna,

The reason many doubt your authenticity is because those that short stocks are often morally degenerate and will tell any lie required to knock down the share price of a company. They will also set up fake web sites and claim to be someone they are not. If you are really who you say you are I wish the best for you and your family. But I certainly would not trust that you are who you say you are as there as too many scammers masquerading as altruistic helpers that are really just trying to get investors to sell their shares. I have more confidence in studies done and verifiable public information like your father is purchasing shares as opposed to someone claiming to be Rick Sharp's daughter. Anyone who trusts that you are who you say you are is a fool.

Fili Talamantez
03/19/2012 10:28am

Hello all, if I may be so bold, inflammation is a response and not a disease in and of itself. There are endless causative factors of inflammation. Research into a pill to cure a degenerative process probably isn't the best way to spend research money. If we live long enough all of us would eventually develop a neurodegenerative process.
There is research that is demonstrating that signs of neurodegenerative disorders begin thirty years before the typical symptoms manifest themselves. These are including but not limited to changes in center of pressure and responses related to the same (balance issues), loss of smell affecting the olfactory bulb, and areas of the temporal lobe, and abnormal protein formation and accumulation. (alpha-synuclein---lewy bodies and neurofibrillary tangles) One of the questions that arises is why does the body start producing larger quantities of the products and two, why does it lose the ability to cleanse itself of the these formations (autophagy)
Believe it or not there may be a relationship between the center of pressure and abnormal amyloid accumulation. Theoretically, by some, neurons have the capability to live indefinitely if properly maintained however when pushed beyond their capacity they, like any other system, can potentially start functioning abnormally. Two components we tend to monitor are fuel delivery and activation. (glucose, oxygen, inhibition, and activation). The gift of walking upright although with its many advantages of evolving humanistic qualities and concepts has come at price, creating the potential for tonic abnormal corrective reflexogenic responses for actual and perceived changes in our abnormally narrow base and related center of pressure.
There is also much to be researched in the old custom of fasting. It appears that the constant source of fuel delivery can potentially disrupt the innate process of autophagy, this coupled with abnormal production of the same as a consequence of multifactorial processes, (changes in center of pressure, decrease in function of mitochondria, abnormal fuel delivery, and alterations in frequency of firing are a recipe for disaster!!

fili talamantez
03/19/2012 12:09pm

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

Christine Southerington
09/06/2012 6:10pm

My husband and I started taking 2 tabs 3 times a day about 6 weeks ago. It immediately helped with back and knee pains and did seem to decrease appetite and facilitate weight loss. then my husband noticed he felt anxious and depressed. His blood pressure and heart rate increased and he was extremely agitated

Jonathan Rigg
09/12/2012 12:45pm

First of all I am an investor in Star, but I am also a user - or have been. I do NOT claim that my side effect will be the same for everyone, just putting it out there. I developed several skin conditions after about three or four months of use. Twice I stopped Anatabloc and they went away, so I have stopped taking it. I have not reported it to Star yet, but will. They tend to be rather rude and form-letter-ish when I have written them in the past about price

Easy
09/21/2012 8:42am

I found about anatabloc while surfing and getting an info-ad from THE DAYLY RECKONING dated sept 20th which claims about a product
that could extend someone's life by 20 to 30 years.....While I am suggesting to listen or read the entire offer ...my question is : Is it reasonable to present RCP0060 to the world as an anti-ageing product ?

It starts as follows

Don’t look this gift horse in the mouth

When was the last time someone offered to write you a $1,200 check just for doing the right thing — that could significantly increase your wealth?

When was the last time such an offer came with the opportunity to invest in a company that’s discovered a naturally occurring substance, available without a prescription, is doctor recommended, and could potentially extend someone’s life by 20 to 30 years?

Never, right?

So don’t let this chance slip through your fingers.

At the stroke of midnight, September 21st, this offer to receive a $1,200 check will be permanently withdrawn.

Of course, the opportunity to invest in this health company will remain.

But the $1,200 check you could receive will be gone forever.

View this presentation before midnight September 21st to get all the details, and learn how to claim the check.

Richard Kerr
11/04/2012 3:20am

Apparently, Alzheimer's is a condition caused by a cascade of interacting processes, undoubtedly inflammation plays a critical role, also a breakdown of the blood brain barrier, allowing toxins entry into the brain, the accumulation of amyloid plaques, etc play a role in this process, but my gut feeling is that if inflammation can be damped down, this cascade can be prevented. I believe anatabloc, should be looked at closely for a broad range of conditions for which inflammation appears to be at the very root. I wonder if evidence suggests that Anatabine can pass the blood brain barrier efficiently.

Justhinkin
12/03/2012 6:15am

See my latest posts here. There is no doubt about BB passage.

Roskamp's mouse studies also indicate that it is highly effective in mouse models of M.S., and of particular new note (this fall) may be the first agent highly effective in helping to prevent and/or mitigate the effects of traumatic brain injury (TBI). This was reported this fall by Mullan of Roskamp at the Society for Neurology at their annual meet. This also in mouse model, in research funded apparently by the DOD at Roskamp.

I would point out that unlike other "diseases", the mechanism for action in the brains of mice and men are known to be the same for TBI, that being direct injury by shaking or trauma to the brain, and so there is not the usual "possible disconnect" between the mouse model and man. Concussion and direct injury are the same injury no matter.

Justhinkin
12/03/2012 6:01am

Because this conversation seems to have 9 lives, I thought it might be refreshing to add some actual fact to the opinions offered. Note that these are "peer reviewed" papers presented in a notable scientific journal (one of them announced just days ago). Thank you for the opportunity to add this peer reviewed scientific information here.

#1

GLEN ALLEN, Va., Oct. 4, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Star Scientific, Inc. (Nasdaq: CIGX) reports today the publication of the first peer-reviewed article on the in-vitro and in-vivo activity of anatabine in Alzheimer's Disease. The article is authored by scientists at the Roskamp Institute and is electronically published in the European Journal of Pharmacology (2011 Sept 19). It states that anatabine lowers Alzheimer's A-beta production in-vitro and in-vivo.

In the article the authors describe the accumulation of an abnormal substance, called A-beta, the substance that leads to amyloid formation and damage to brain tissue. They studied the formation of A-beta and showed how anatabine lowers levels of two forms of A-beta (1-40 and 1-42) in a dose-dependent manner, possibly by preventing or reducing formation from the precursor protein. After showing the activity in the test tube, the researchers went on to show that when anatabine is given to mice vulnerable to accumulation of amyloid, treatment with anatabine lowers brain levels of both A-beta (1-40) and A-beta (1-42), postulated to be due to effects on NFKB activation. Michael Mullan, MD, Ph.D., Roskamp Institute co-director and one of the article's authors, commented, "This paper demonstrates anatabine's potential as an anti-inflammatory agent and shows it may have broad applications including for disorders like Alzheimer's Disease."

Anatabine citrate is one of the active ingredients in Anatabloc™, a dietary supplement developed by Star Scientific's subsidiary, Rock Creek Pharmaceuticals. Anatabloc™, which entered the market on August 30, is designed to provide anti-inflammatory support (www.anatabloc.com). Curtis Wright, MD, MPH, Senior Vice President of Rock Creek Pharmaceuticals, expressed his opinion of the Roskamp findings. "While we were aware that Roskamp was conducting studies of the effects of dietary supplementation with anatabine in Alzheimer's Disease, it is gratifying that external peer review validated the work they have done. The research confirms that this natural plant compound shows an interesting regulatory effect on brain immune responses. It is one thing to believe your own results; it is quite another to have them accepted by your peers in the scientific community." Anatabine for the Roskamp research was provided through Rock Creek Pharmaceuticals.

Ongoing human clinical studies of anatabine citrate, and the commercial product Anatabloc™, are examining the potential role of nutritional supplementation in regulating low-level inflammation controlled by the NFκB system.

PR Newswire (http://s.tt/1bKeR)

#2

GLEN ALLEN, Va., Nov. 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Star Scientific, Inc. (NASDAQ: STSI) today announces that new anatabine research has been accepted by and published online in the European Journal of Pharmacology. In a series of studies, researchers at the Roskamp Institute demonstrated that anatabine can suppress brain inflammation in animal models of Alzheimer's disease, inflammation in the blood in mice, and inflammation induced in human blood once removed from the body. This peer-reviewed data supporting the view that anatabine has widespread anti-inflammatory properties was published in a paper, titled, "Anti-inflammatory Activity of Anatabine Via Inhibition of STAT3 Phosphorylation". The anatabine used in these studies is made under Star Scientific's patented process and is the main ingredient in its Anatabloc® dietary supplement.

In one study, the highly inflammatory molecule LPS, which is released from bacteria during human infections, was injected into mice. Subsequently, there were expected large increases in inflammatory molecules in the blood, spleen, and kidney; however, when co-treated with anatabine there were statistically significant large decreases in these inflammatory molecules in the blood, spleen, and kidney. The spleen, in particular, showed marked suppression of inflammatory molecule release during co-treatment with anatabine.

justhinkin
12/03/2012 6:04am

Sorry ... the rest of #2

#2

In addition, the Roskamp Institute team showed that in a mouse model of Alzheimer's disease, supplementation with anatabine resulted in a significant suppression of inflammatory markers, especially a marker called TNF-Alpha, which is known to be raised in Alzheimer's disease. This finding complements a previous study by the Roskamp Institute showing reduction of the amyloid protein in this mouse model of Alzheimer's after treatment with anatabine. The reduction of the accumulation of amyloid and inflammation in the brain are known to be intimately linked, one increasing the other. Therefore, anatabine's reduction of both amyloid levels and inflammation encourage the hypothesis that anatabine may be a useful treatment for Alzheimer's disease.

Finally, the research team showed that a key mediator of inflammation known as STAT3, which is activated during inflammation, was suppressed in the presence of anatabine in spleen, kidney, and brain of mice, and cultured human neurons and human white cells. The entire manuscript can be viewed at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2012.11.017

Dr. Michael Mullan, the CEO and President of the Roskamp Institute stated, "Anatabine continues to demonstrate widespread anti-inflammatory properties in a broad array of pre-clinical models. Given the commonality of inflammatory systems in rodents and humans, there's much reason to expect that anatabine will demonstrate similar properties in humans. In fact, the team went on to demonstrate that in human blood inflamed with LPS, the presence of anatabine dramatically dampened the inflammatory response, a result also included in the paper."

Paul L. Perito, Star Scientific's Chairman, President and COO, stated, "Our research partner, the Roskamp Institute, has once again secured publication of its cutting edge science in the prestigious European Journal of Pharmacology. This publication underscores the worthy productivity of Dr. Michael Mullan (MD/PhD) and his talented cadre of research scientists, who have better illuminated another contour of anatabine's anti-inflammatory properties. It is one thing to know that our anatabine compound has biological effects; it is far better to have mechanistic data that supports appropriate use and offers a mechanism for those effects."

As previously reported, a human clinical trial analyzing the effects of supplementation with Star Scientific's anatabine compound on individuals with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease is currently in progress at the Roskamp Institute.

Henry allen
05/23/2013 9:21pm

I just need to know would there any conflict with any prescription medication being taken.